Sunday, June 17, 2012

When your “Happy Father’s Day” isn’t so “Happy”


Like all holidays, Father’s Day can be bittersweet.  It can incite a range of emotions from joy and celebration to melancholy or borderline suicidal.  How we respond to certain holidays depends on our perspective.  We must be careful not to let our emotions dictate everything.  I had a colleague once tell me, “Never let your highs get to high or your lows get to low.”  Holidays, if we are not careful, have the tendency to have the opposite intended affect. Father’s Day is for us to show our fathers how much we love and appreciate them. It’s a time for us to come together and celebrate as a family.   However, for every family that’s celebrating, there are families grieving over a recent father’s loss or a single parent frustrated over a missing-in-action Dad.  My father was a great father. He was my best friend. For those who are close to me you know I am a forever daddy’s girl.  However I had to figure out how to enjoy this day despite the lost of my father in 2009.  I just want to share with you some “Father’s Day” wisdom that may bless us all:
  •  If your father is still living, celebrate him on a regular basis. Tell him “I love you” often. Take a break from “conquering the world” to spend time with him – make memories.
  • Put thought into the way you honor your father on Father’s Day.  It is not necessarily the amount of money you spend but the time you put into it.  Some of the best gifts are handmade!  If you need some ideas log on to: Pinterest - Homemade Gifts for Men.
  • Sitting on the front porch, sharing a meal and seeing all the children together (and not fighting) is a gift!  I’ve never seen my Dad happier on the day I got married because he was surrounded by family.
  • If you and the father of your child are not together, try not to hinder his relationship with the child.  I know it may be difficult, but think about your child’s future.  A child needs his father.  And if you can’t do it in your own strength, take it to God.
  • If you are a single mother it’s okay to say “Happy Father’s Day to me”.  Make it a fun day your children will never forget!
  • Honor and pray for the other fathers in the family. 
  •  If you and your husband want to have children and it hasn’t happened yet, have a “Pre-Father’s Day” celebration (vision).  Prepare for the child God will bring you and be open to the way and time and which it comes!
  • If you are grieving over a father’s recent loss, it will take time.  Try not to immerse yourself in the emotion of the day. Don't keep listening to "Dance with My Father Again".  I love Luther Vandross but this song tears me up every time - LOL! Do something to honor your Dad. Listen to his favorite music, bake his favorite cake or put together a scrapbook.  If this is too difficult do something fun and enjoyable to take your mind off of Father’s Day – it is okay!
Remember, Father's Day is like any other holiday. It serves a purpose, but it's one day-24 hours. The good news? We all have a heavenly father who pours love into us if we just ask.  There have been times when I needed “a God with arms”.  I’ve prayed, “Lord, I just need to feel some extra love today.” Don’t you know God would answer that prayer?  I’d get a phone call, compliment, invitation or some flowers.  Lastly, we are responsible for our own happiness and emotions.  It should never be contingent on any one day or person.  If we keep an attitude of gratitude and shower others with love daily we will always keep that extra joy on reserve when we need it! Happy Father’s Day to all. Hope this blessed you! As always, pray and post it forward! :)

Norma L. Jarrett

Author & Creator of Brunch Lady

No comments:

Post a Comment