Monday, June 9, 2014

She read what book 8 times? Plus Lamman Rucker and South Korea...


Meet Sunday Brunch Series Super Fan and Uber Brunch Lady LaToya Williams!

 

As an author I love hearing that readers had a major connection with the characters and a storyline. As a faith based author it is just as awesome to know that my novels resonated on an inspirational level.  So I was elated, over-the-moon and awestruck at how much in love LaToya Williams was with the Sunday Brunch series.  It had to be love because she's read Sunday Brunch a total of 8 times! AND the Sequel (book 2 in the series) Sunday Brunch Diaries 5 times (And she just finished Bridal Brunch!). So when I decided to start a blog feature about readers and super fans she had to be my first choice!  So here we go!
 

 

NJ:  Tell us a little about yourself (hobbies, professions, favorite quote etc.).

LW: I currently live in the small town of Estill, SC.   I returned here three years ago after moving away for 12 years.  Currently, I am employed as the Job Coach/Afterschool Program Director in the school district I grew up in.  I love KIDS!!! I enjoy inspiring them to love the skin they are in and make good choices.  My dream is to become a much sought after Youth Motivational Speaker that promotes healthy self- esteem, social acceptance and quality decision-making.    Furthermore, I am a grant writer.  I assist small non- profits with their dreams of impacting their communities.   Lastly, I am writer for a women’s ministry blog Divine Image.  Go check it out at www.divineimage.orgI enjoy traveling to new places.  I spent two years teaching English as a Second Language in South Korea.  I have done volunteer work with organizations for children in South Korea, Japan and the Philippines.


My hobbies are reading, writing, shopping (although I am currently on a spending fast, lol), traveling and spending time with my mom (she is in the early stages of dementia).

Favorite Quote: Well I have quite a few....

Believe God for HIS best; not for what others think you should settle for! LaToya Williams (Me)

Pursue purpose over money! – Me

If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you really want, and all that is left is compromise. -Robert Fritz


NJ: What made you read Sunday Brunch for the very first time? (When and where did you meet Lexi, Jermane, Jewel, Capri, and Angel and when did you become best friends – smile) 

LW: A friend of mine gave me the book Sunday Brunch back in 2004. I remember working at a job I absolutely hated in Atlanta, GA. I was consumed with getting married and like Lexi it seems as if all of my friends’ lives were progressing and mine was stagnant. My friend gave me the book because she felt I could identify with Lexi. After I finished, she said; “You realize Lexi was found by her man when she stopped looking.” Needless to say that hit home. Lol!!

NJ: How many times have you read the novels since then and why? (clapping!)

LW: I reread the novels every year since 2006/2007. Usually around Christmas time. I have read Sunday Brunch around 8 times. I came across the Sunday Brunch diaries in 2009. I have read the Sequel around 5 times. 

NJ: What made you become such fan of the Brunch series books?

LW: I like to think of it as divine intervention. Lol. The books really just fell in my lap and I have been a fan ever since. I can identify with the characters, particularly Lexi.

NJ: Why do you think other women would embrace the characters of the Brunch novels? (As if we don’t need positive women in media! But carry on)

LW: Lol. Positive black women BINGO!!! Lol Seriously, these women demonstrate the 21st Century woman. It’s like Proverbs 31 women in the modern day sense. They are career oriented women with business sense; balancing marital and family relationships as well. The characters show women that you can have it all, God, Family and Career.  

NJ: What do you think the brunch series characters teach us? (Besides how to dress fashionably and say a fierce prayer!) 

LW: The importance of friendships. These ladies really could not live with out each other. Also, they teach the work/life balance. All of them are in their careers with families and are keeping God first in the midst of it. Also, the importance of pursuing your dreams; I admire all of the women for going after what is on their heart. Even Jewel, although she needed a push. Eventually she got grounded and pursued her passion. Also, enjoy the fact that the books show the characters’ imperfections. There personal struggles to live and date God’s way. There struggles in marriage. They are real women. The characters can help us as women in our daily work with God. It helps us to realize we do not have to be perfect in order to be women of God.

NJ: What celebrities would you like to play the characters of Sunday brunch? (My list has changed so much I stopped making it – lol) 
 
LW: Lexi- Me lol (Joking) -Sanaa Lathan Capri- Nia Long Jewel- Regina Hall Jermane-Gabrielle Union Angel- Jill Scott The first four ladies are really good friends in real Life. I think they all will have excellent chemistry for a movie.  

NJ: What are you most looking forward to in the next installment of the Brunch Series (Bridal Brunch)? (Jewel coordinates million dollar wedding in LA! Can she pull off it off in good faith despite a crushing groom and approval addicted bride? More fun, faith, friendship and food…the girls are back!)

LW: Sunday Brunch Diaries ended with Lexi being pregnant or as she puts it; “I am about to be somebody’s momma.” I would like to see how they all balance mother hood along with everything else. I will like to see more of the relationship between Angel and Octavo. How did Jermane and Rex relationship evolved? Capri and Mr. Stanton in the NBA. Mainly, I am looking forward to seeing how they have grown and adjusted to their new roles. 

NJ: Are you an aspiring writer and what are you working on?

LW: Yes I am. I am currently working on a book for teens entitled Crooked Smile: A Guide to Accepting the Image Others Taught You to Hate.  Eventually I want to have a series of fiction books based on the smile. It’s all about embracing your imperfections and pursuing destiny. Accepting God’s best when others feel you are unworthy and should settle for less. I struggled with my self-esteem well into my adult life. As a result, I did not make the best choices all the time. I want to encourage young people to be strong enough to make good decisions.

NJ: Tell us anything else you’d like (I’m in love with Idris Elba or any other randomness – smile)

LW: Lol!! I am absolutely, head over heels, totally in love with God and Lamman Rucker!!!  I love God because despite of my flaws, despite of my mistakes he still loves me. He still loves me even when I felt unworthy of His love. His love was still there after I rejected his love.
I love Lamman Rucker because he is spiritual, intelligent and FINE (there I said it). Seriously, I really admire the work he does for children. He is also well balanced. If you know him please give him my number. Lol. But seriously! Just want to encourage everyone to start where they are. For years, I held back on pursuing my dreams because I thought I needed to look perfect (ie weight, braces –hence the book title). But, I finally realize that I am constantly evolving and God is always purging me and perfecting me. Perfection is an illusion that is unobtainable. Become the best version of yourself. Have a pure heart and everything else will fall in place.  Oh yeah I have the best Mom-Elizabeth Williams and two older sisters-Elaunda and Lakisha Williams in the world. They seriously are the greatest.    
 
 
Are you a Super-Fan of the Sunday Brunch novel series?  Have a great story or testimony about the books?  e-mail Norma at: brunchbooks@aol.com for consideration of the next "Super-fan" post!  
 

 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment