Saturday, May 10, 2014

Bridal Brunch - The Novel by Norma L. Jarrett - Excerpt!

Sooo excited!  As you know I'm launching my "baby" Bridal Brunch, then next novel in the Sunday Brunch series on May 29, 2014 at a fabulous event hosted by Robbins Brothers of Houston, Texas!  (Cue the cute flyer in the post below).  In the meantime here is a little "nibble" of Bridal Brunch, didn't realize I was writing my heart out so Bridal Brunch is a delicious 310 page literary meal for all my Brunch Ladies! Bon Appetit!

*EXCERPT*
(Prologue)
 Dear Jesus:
     I don’t have much time, but need to connect. I know I know…I’m working on the time management thing. Seems like gone are the days you and I’d hang out for hours, I so miss that. But I know when I’ve been neglecting my God time. Experience has taught me I can’t do a thing without You. Been there, done that…bought the t-shirt. Since so much is competing for my attention these days: family, work, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram (seriously), I need to work a little harder. And I’m enlisting Your help!
     Hubby Chris has been working second shift at the police department, keeping the streets of Houston safe. Please keep him covered. Right now, he’s sound asleep, calling major hogs. Side note: You could’ve given me the heads up about that. Little Chris has gotten out his bed and tucked his narrow self under his dad. It’s the cutest thing ever. There’re times when I wish I could freeze this moment. It’s just that good. You know, that season after all the rain, struggle, doubt, and heartache dissipate. They take their funky remnants and bounce! The dust settles. The harvest not only arrives, it’s abundant! Ahhhh, nothing like beauty for ashes!
     I’ve struggled for so long to be the woman You designed me to be. And I finally get it! I don’t have to be perfect. I just need to be consistent in my faith and trust the process. Phew! I could have saved myself years of anxiety, fear, and emotional breakdowns. You’ve been in total control but I insisted on grabbing that steering wheel. Driving us both nuts! Thank You for being such a patient and loving God.
     I always knew there was this confident woman inside of me. But You allowed the world to see it. I knew I was destined to be a wife and mother. I knew I was something greater than just everyone else’s confidante, friend, problem fixer or prayer partner. Don’t get me wrong. I truly love helping others, especially my girls–Jewel, with all her crazy, unpredictable over the top ways; Capri, my solid as a rock law partner; Angel, my mature, smart and savvy mentor; and Jermane, my classy, sweet friend who refuses to let me pay back that loan from law school. These are my ride-or-die (can you say that over thirty?) sister-friends. Through thick and thin, broken hearts, marriage, law school, business start-ups, career shifts, childbirth, and holidays; we’ve fought, argued, cried, worshiped and celebrated…together.
     Guess we have Jewel, the woman who can throw confetti in the midst of any crisis, to thank for our first “bonding” brunch back in law school. I thought it was a little over the top, because honestly who could afford Sunday Brunch back in law school? But that’s my beloved Jewel. Just like her name, she brings the sparkle and shine every time.
     My gratitude reflection for this season starts with my family−my awesome and anointed husband Chris and our son, his moniker and mini-me. I’m grateful for the good, the great, the “what in the world” and the “shut the front door” moments. I’m also grateful for the lessons. I’ve clearly learned that life is dynamic. I’ve learned to be comfortable with being uncomfortable.  Do I like it? No. My flesh HATES it. But I know if I stay with You I can ride anything out, bloom where I’m planted, and come out on top! This morning, I didn’t spend long in the Bible. I started in Proverbs. If all else fails, Proverbs has an answer. It’s saturated with wisdom. It’s my fail safe – smile. Then my daily devotional led me to John 15:30…
Greater love has no one than this that someone lay down his life for his friends.
   I closed my Bible right then, assured I’d gotten my word for the day. I’m grateful this morning for my friends. We’ve “laid down our lives” for each other many a time. Maybe not literally, but we have each other’s backs. We take care of each other. We’re more than friends…we’re like a small gang, lol. And I’m proud of us. I’m proud of what we’ve accomplished, how we carry ourselves and the way we love. We know our worth. We’re leaders, business owners, wives, mothers, givers and hard workers. But even more precious than that, we are forever…
“Brunch Ladies”

xoxo…Lexi 
 
YOU ARE INVITED TO THE LAUNCH!!!
Door Prizes, Booksigning, Refreshments, Bling, Try on Rings!!!

 MAY 29, 2014
6-8 p.m.
Robbins Brothers
2101 W. Loop S.
Houston, TX

No comments:

Post a Comment